Thursday, October 4, 2007

Catfish Festival Sept 24, 2007

Labels: 36 comments

5:30 pm Carol Called meeting into order

Permit for parade sent off 9/25
Motion to block off From Scottd's drive way on 52.
Traffic Control - Can Rescue Squad and Fire help?

Most post signs for:
No Toy Guns
No Animals
No Concealed Weapons

Discussed Police Protection
Several will be on duty

Someone Dressed up to give out candy instead of thowing it..

Mayor will not be able to attend Car show..
No Car Show.
Motion Carried by table..

Needs our Mailing Address
sent Specs to DHEC
Buddy Plummer..

Discussed Treasure report.
Trying to budget for next week
Postage for Becky.

Zenobia's Report
No Donations
Will try to get together to help get donations.
Will work on donation letter

Link Radio Station $300 3 weeks
No radio
News Press/Flo Mo/Hville Messenger

Inflatables - Next week.

Lisa Hudson will MC

Fried Catfish - Bethesda Church
1000lbs Catfish
Brotherhood of the Church
Youth and Community Projects

Mr. Gandy Says yes to parking.

Festival will provide seating for visitors eating..

Monday, September 17, 2007

Catfish Committee Meeting - Sept 17th

Labels: 0 comments

In attendance
Carol Davis - Chair
Ann Breckenridge - Co Chair
Kathy Clark - Committee Coordinator
Scott Dixon - Sectary

Lynn Horne
Fannie Johnson
Christy Okeef
Dephorah Harrell
Lola Tice
Valencia S. Brewington
Connell Delaine
Alfreda Williams
Gale Douglas

Sept 17th 2007 Carol Davis opened meeting and reviewed part of the notes from the meeting on Sept 7th..

Carol presented information collected from pass years.. Notes about how much and what was ordered are very unclear. This is an area where we will need to start over at..

Must decide how many we need and where..
Used Sellers last year

Law Enforcement
- We must pay their overtime
- Not sure how much that is
- We have full use of grounds and baseball field
- Fannie will call TA Gandy about parking - we will use that too.

There was talk about how much money was in the bank.
- Currently we have $2600 in the bank.
- We are waiting on a check from the Town of this amount (and maybe more)
- We also have outstanding (un-cashed) vendor checks to cash

We have applied to Columbia for: (Carol Davis)
- We are a charitable organization
- We also have an employee ID Number
- Sent info such as simplified budget..

The date of the Event is
- Nov 10 2007
- And First Weekend in Nov of 2008

Maybe next year we can sell hot dogs as before (Suggestion Made)
$5 of power money from vendors go to the town..

Ann B. Co-chair:
They have contacted local papers, internet sources, and TV stations.
- Cross Roads (Cheraw)
- TV 15 and 13
- News and Press
- Hartsville Mess
- Charlotte Burger will do an article for the Chronicle
- PPM will do ad in Florence Morning News.

Got Emails about two children's events..
Science South?
- A free Science event for children
Fun for You Renters
- They are going to send us two proposals and rate

Kathy C. Committee Head
Reported that we have 17 Vendors
Reported that we have sent out 20 more applications
Reported on Entertainment:
They had a DJ in mind from Florence
They have lots of requests from local talent

5k Run/Walk ( Carol D. )
They have sent out applications
Pretty slow to get them back.
They have posted this event on many sites

Dinner Plates.. (Sub Contract)
Society Hill COG has deicide not to do this
We need another group to step up to do this..
** The Sub Contracted Group will be randomly selected by the committee
(Those interested must meet the following criteria – set by the Committee)
Non-profit, Non-business,
Organization for the Community
Not an Individual.
Must be local group that will benefit the people of the town.
(Any church or Community Based organization is welcome apply)
** The "Sub Contract Group" will:
Pay for all supplies which may include but not limited to:
( paper goods, cups, drinks, fish, Green Beans, Slaw, Oil, gas ext. )
The Committee will provide a space, the tent, pots, and cookers.
They must comply to state food prep guidelines.
Pay 10% of it's gross sales to the Catfish Committee
** The Committee will decide at the next meeting who will qualify and be selected for the contract..

Catfish Stew
Mr. Courtney Stokes will cook again this year as in the past years
The Committee will provide all the ingredients, paper goods
This year the committee may only sale this in "bulk" quantities with rice.

Parade (Scott Dixon, Gale Douglas, Connell Delaine)
We need the List from last year, Carol didn't have this in her books..
We plan to send out applications to all who entered last year
Need to move the line up due to SCDOT
Proposed to use Welsh Neck parsonage grounds, Carolina Bank, Burns St. And the Exxon..
Next year we will add an entry Fee and charge more for commercial floats
The Parade committee needs to discuss the "drop off" plan for the end of the parade..
Mr. Delaine will help organize the Schools, Bands, and ROTC
We have already contacted Kirby Floats for this year.. ( Need to start showing them off )

Food Vendors 12X12 - $75 - $5 Electrical Hookup
Craft Vendors 12X12 - $50
Proposed to add Business to the Vendor list for extra $$
We need a committed head
Deborah Harrell, Valencia B. Will help as well as Tracy O when possible

Headed up by Zenobia and Valencia B.
Valencia will bring a report back for the next meeting for the both of them..
We voted to do 50/50 raffle
Fannie will donate tickets

Car Show:
Tom will help but will not be present the day of the event
Lola and Fannie will help in this area to setup and contact people of the event
Ann will make an updated flyer
We will not have 16 categories we need to move that number down to 3/4
We should ask Tom about the needed categories
Some flyer's will be put out by Kathy and maybe others
Need to send out applications soon..

Keep the logo
Find out where the money is and how much
Find out how many more are left
Do a new shirt for next year with the date

How old - What is the Year of the event??
Some say 19th
Some say 21st
Not sure

Next Meeting Monday 24th 2007 5:30pm Town Hall

Other Items of Interest - Things to do
Fannie - Check on parking
Connell - Check with Bands, Schools and Cooking?
Scott - Line up and drop off, Send out Parade Applications
Valencia - Work with Zenobia on getting a report on Donations
Carol - Vendor List and Layout
Lynn - Vendors

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Three at-large positions are up for grabs on Society Hill Town Council


Sounds like many are interested in being on the Council these days. Lot's of good candidates are stepping up to the plate. Morning news reports that seven people are seeking election in three open positions.

Read more..

Monday, September 10, 2007

Town Council Meeting - New Town Events Announced

Lynn G. called the meeting to order in tonights town council meeting. Council Present tonight was Ann. B, Les B. Lynn G. and Kelly M.

Jean F. the president of the Society Hill Lions Club announced the towns 9/11 Memorial Service. The service will be held tomorrow September 11 2007 at 8:45am. Several local fire stations and law enforcement units will be present as well as local and regional elected officials. The service will be held at the Society Hill Memorial Park. All are invited to attend.

After a bit of town business, Les B. announced to the town the new Fall Festival for the citizens of the area. This event is titled "Chill on the Hill". The festival will be much like the annual Taste of the Society Hill, but is not intended to replacement the annual Taste. Just in case you're wondering the Taste of Society Hill was postponed until early next year. The "Chill on the Hill" will feature blue grass music and food from 7pm til 9pm, followed by beach music and dancing til midnight. The event will be held on the grounds of the Howell family home located on Pressley Ave. Proceeds will be split between local organizations and events as well as to help with next years event.

Also Carol D. was appointed by the mayor to Chair the "Community" led Catfish Festival. The Festival elected new members last Friday in an emergency meeting. This will be the Festivals 19th year, and it will go on as expected. Carol asked for the support and help of the Community, there were also flyer's issued in tonights meeting to encourage people to volunteer their time to help with the festival. Much praise came with the announcement by Carol D. when she announced that the festival will be moved back to the first weekend in November as it once was. However, the event this year will kick off with the parade at 11am on November 10, 2007.

Rosenwald/St David's Elementary will host their Fall Festival on October 5th. Their school fund raiser will begin September 10th with sales of Worlds Finest candy bars.

A few other announcements were made and the meeting was closed.

Friday, September 7, 2007

New Catfish Committee Members Elected

Labels: 30 comments

September 7 2007, Carol D. called a meeting in to order with a few old and new friends of the festival. The meeting was called to elect new members to organize this years Catfish festival.

Appointed by the Mayor Carol D. will be the new Committee chair for the "Community Led" Society Hill Catfish Committee. Ann B. will co-chair with her. Officials elected were Scott D. (me) as Sectary, Becky H. Treasurer , Kathy C. as Committee Head.

Officers are expected to:
Will keep meeting minutes
Will submit paper work to the State

Will keep the books.
Will give detailed Monthly Financial Reports at Meetings

Committee Coordinator
Committee head
Helps with getting people involved
Keeps and Eye on other area of Committee
Helps where needed
Point of Contact

The first order of business was to vote on moving the date of the festival for next year back to the first weekend in November. That vote passed with all members in favor, this will help attendance since the Rosenwald reunion will be present that weekend as well.

The Committee also voted:

  • To have No Candy in this years parade. With all members in favor that this causes problems with people and children getting into the road.
  • To look into charging an entry fee for the parade next year. This will be discussed the next meeting. This year there will be NO fee to enter the parade.
  • To not book professional Entertainment groups as in the pass. This year the committee plans to bring local talent to the stage. The Community will be encouraged to help with this.
  • To reduce the amount of prize and award categories for the Car Show. This will help reduce costs related to prizes and payouts.
  • NOT to host a Stew Cook Off.
Advertisements about the festival will be submitted to local newspapers, radios, and TV networks.

Over the next few weeks the committee will be looking to the citizens and friends of the town for support. The next meeting will be Monday September 17th 2007 at 5:30pm in the Town Hall. Everyone is encourage to attend and participate in this years event...